Well I thought I would give an update. It’s been about three weeks since I began intermittent fasting. So far I’ve lost about eight or 9 pounds. The weight-loss has been rather effortless.
I’ve begun jogging in the evenings. But only about two or 3 miles. Sometimes I run hills/intervals & sometimes I just barely jog. (Some nights I only feel like walking and do that.) I do this after I’ve eaten (after my eating window has closed). I do this for two reasons:
1. To supress my appetite in the evenings when I’m more likely to snack (outside of my eating window)
2. To burn through my glycogen stores so that I will be burning fat sooner/longer.
Wanna read my other posts on intermittent fasting for women/while breastfeeding?
A Typical Day Fasting as a Breastfeeding Mom
9 AM wake up & nurse Kate
9:10 AM change Sofia and begin making her breakfast
9:20 AM make my coffee (Americano with 1/2 tbs coconut oil)
have “breakfast” with Sofia
do activities with girls, clean house, read
11AM nap time for girls
stay busy while they nap usually reading, listening to teaching, or cleaning, journaling
12:30 nurse Kate
wake up sofia
make lunch for sofia
make lunch for me
activities with Girls: long stroller walk, play outside, run errands, playground, etc
*dessert chai tea break
4PM nurse Kate & Sofia quiet time
7PM eat dinner
bathtime & put girls to bed
8PM have a dessert or candy
10 Tips for Intermittent Fasting for Women
I’ve had the most success with the following tips & strategies:
1. Try not to eat a ton after lunch. 2. Eat a nice sized, high protein lunch
3. When it’s time to not eat whether you are trying to not overeat during eating window or during fasting, have lots of different gums. (I’ve found wrigleys winterfresh to be the best at suppressing cravings.)
4. Get a fun cup with a straw & drink ice cold water all the time and especially when you are feeling hungry.
5. Tea, coffee, repeat! Savor it.
6. Stay busy. The extra time and energy fasting gives you can be used to do so much. (I started taking an online class.)
7. Don’t deny yourself during eating times. You are really working the self-control/self-denial muscle during fasting times. Go ahead and give in to cravings during eating window within reason. One day, I had 3 cookies & half a pint of ice cream. I still lost weight that day. You won’t want that all the time or everyday. But if you do, it probably won’t hurt you.
8. Pay attention to healthy cravings. On that same note, if you are craving a veggie stir fry with coconut milk, couscous, and garbanzo beans -have THAT. Craving brocolli? Mangoes? Eat that. Fasting makes you much more in tune with what your body needs.
9. The power of later. If you are really wanting something at night pr when you wake up. Just tell yourself you will have it later. You’re not telling yourself no just “not now”. That is so powerful.
10. Weigh every day or every other day. The scale will probably be going down every day. This is very encouraging & really empowers you through fasts. If it stops going down, shorten your eating window until it starts again. Also, take before & after pics. They are really the best for measuring change.